The Burleson County Czech Heritage Museum was started in early 1992 by a group of interested Burleson County citizens. The organization was chartered by the State of Texas in October, 1993 with the ribbon cutting and grand opening held December 10, 1993.
The purpose of the museum is to promote and preserve the unique heritage and culture of both the Czech in Europe and the Czech settlers in this area of Texas.
We cooperate with the schools and churches by providing loan exhibits, special exhibits, lectures and tours for children and adults.
The museum is located at 200 East Fawn Street in Caldwell, TX.
Hours: Will be open every Saturday from June to September from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. or By Appointment for special tours.
Open during the Kolache Festival in September. Admission is free, but donations are welcome.
The house was built in the second half of the nineteenth century. The house was owned by the Polasek Family and donated by Annie and Bennie Polasek to the BCCHM in 1996.
Before restoration work could begin a group of Texas A&M students under the direction of Dr. David Woodcock, undertook the task of documenting the 1863 Czech home. The documentation work was forwarded to the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. to be added to the Czech Heritage of the U.S.A. assuring preservation of Historical American Buildings.
Restoration began in the spring of 1997, with the leveling and raising of the house. Cypress tree logs were brought in from East Texas and cut on-site to replace rotted siding and trim. All windows in the home were rebuilt and replaced. Many people have been particularly instrumental in refurbishing and restoring the house.
The restoration of the historic house is a significant milestone in the creation of a Czech Heritage Museum for Burleson County. The Museum displays furnishings of the Texas Czech settlers during the late 1800’s. The generosity of Museum members and residents of Burleson County and the cooperation of the City of Caldwell are greatly appreciated. The BCCHM has constructed a carriage house used as a meeting place and site of social events. The museum has sidewalks and ramps making it handicap accessible.
The Museum Gift Shop is located in the Carriage House. We have Czech decorated eggs, jewelry, cookbooks, caps, T-shirts, homemade jellies etc. Sales from these items help fund the continued restoration and maintenance of the Museum.